A healthy, quick and tasty weeknight soup that is ready in under 30 minutes. The coconut milk and sweet potato add a satisfying richness . Mussels and shrimp would be a great addition.
Ingredients (Serves 3)
- 1/2 fennel bulb, sliced
- 1/2 white onion, chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1 sliced chili or chili flakes
- 1 can light organic coconut milk
- 2 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 sweet potato, cut into cubes
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms (I used brown button)
- 9 Scallops
- 2 medium skinless and boneless firm white fish fillets such as cod, cut into thick pieces
- Fresh chives
- Grated lemon rind from 1/2 lemon
- Sea salt and pepper
Sweat the onions and fennel in a large pot until beginning to soften. Add the garlic, chili to taste and sweet potato and cook for a another minute or so, stirring constantly to avoid burning the garlic. Add the can of coconut milk and 2 cups of stock, grated lemon rind and bay leaves then cover and bring to a boil. Once boiling add in sliced mushrooms then reduce to a simmer for about 15 minutes until potato softens. Turn heat up then add in scallops and fish and cook for about another 5 minutes, until seafood turns opaque.
Remove from heat, discard bay leaves and add salt and pepper to taste. Ladle into bowls making sure to give each person three scallops and serve with fresh chopped chives, extra cracked pepper and wedges of lemon.