Kale coated with a lemony zing and creamy avocado dotted with raisins makes every forkful taste like bright ray of sunshine! I love this salad, I confess I was heavily inspired by the Cooler Cleanse kale avocado salad sold at Juice Generation in NYC. I won’t admit how many times I have bought this simple, yet delicious salad before I finally decided to pull my finger out and make it myself at home. Pretty darn comparable I must say!
I added in some shredded roasted chicken breast to serve as a heartier dinner but this is delicious as a vegetarian meal.
Salad Ingredients (serves 3)
- Large bunch organic Lacinato kale and curly leafed kale 50/50 mixed, rinsed, massaged and chopped. (Why massage Kale?! Read more here )
- 1 large very ripe Avocado
- 1 shredded / finely sliced carrot
- Handful raisins
- 5 tbsp sunflower seeds (if you are not adding chicken)
- Finely grated lemon rind from 1 lemon
- 1 lemon for extra juicing
- Lemon wedges for garnish
- Roasted chicken breast (optional I added it to make it a more filling dinner)
- 1/4 c extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large lemon juiced
- 1 tsp mustard powder
- Pinch sea salt and a generous amount of cracked black pepper
Mix the dressing and set aside. (I reserve old Bonne Maman jam jars to use for dressings so I can shake it up to get a good emulsification)
Rinse the kale well under running water while massaging gently with your hands. This sounds odd but it really makes a difference, trust me! Shake off excess water then chop and place into salad bowl. Dice up the avocado then add a squeeze of lemon juice and begin massaging the avocado with the kale, to create an avocado ‘film’ over the leaves. Shred the carrot then add in with the raisins. Add some extra grated lemon rind, some chicken (if desired) then dress and toss well. Refrigerate leftovers in an airtight container.